Collaborative collection development and community documentation
Community outreach and promoting appreciation for cultural literacy
Training in archives methods and management
Management of web site content development, Web 2.0 strategies
Development of in-house collection guides and manuals
Authoring newsletters, articles, books pertaining to cultural heritage and information
May 1993 SIMMONS
COLLEGE, Boston MA
Master of Science in Library Science, concentration in Archives Management
Beta Phi Mu (national library honor society)
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE, Durham NH
Bachelor of Arts in Art History
Magna Cum Laude, University Honors in Major
2000-present Archives Consultant / Owner, Archives and Information Consulting Services www.archivesinfo.com
Consulted for cultural heritage institutions in Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Planned for the organization and preservation of archival records while preparing employees and volunteers to provide for the future care of materials. Helped towns preserve local history and culture, establish new archival facilities for the safekeeping of materials, prepare budgets for archives preservation and management. Taught staff and volunteers archives and records management principles. Provided records inventories and strategic plans. Provided structure for web sites and recommended other tools for access. Encouraged collaboration as a liaison to numerous town groups. Trained and provided ideas for collaborative outreach activities. Served as consultant for New Hampshire Local Records Education Project sponsored by Dartmouth College. Listed as consultant with Essex National Heritage committee and Massachusetts Library Association.
1998-2000 Head of Reference and Adult Services, Wadleigh Memorial Library, Milford, NH
Directed staff of approximately ten reference librarians and circulation assistants. Instituted professional reference standards with regular staff training and meetings. Provided reference services. Ran library programs for adults and young adults, including book groups and events. Maintained library computers and redesigned web pages. Chose books for collections.
1994-1998 Archivist, Internet Coordinator, Reference Librarian, Waltham Public Library, MA
Instituted professional archives standards, while managing and budgeting for library’s archives. Networked with City departments to help organize and promote local history. Designed and maintained original library web site. Provided IT services for library’s word processing and Internet computers. Created computer courses for patrons with instruction in Internet use and Word Processing. Provided reference services for archives and for library reference department. Created library brochures and handouts for local history and computers. Chose local history books, art books, and general history books for collections. Wrote book about history of Waltham published by Arcadia Publishing Company.
Assistant, Rowland Institute for Science,
1992-1993 Archival Intern, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, MA
1993 Archival Intern, Isabella
Stewart Gardner Museum, Boston, MA
1991 Curatorial Intern and Outreach Assistant, UNH Art Gallery, Durham, NH
SPEAKING AND TEACHING ENGAGEMENTS
· “Preserving Memories: Maintaining Personal Papers, Family Photographs, and Memorabilia” – touring presentation, 2009-present
· New England Museum Association - Sustaining Our Heritage: Collaborative Historical Records Projects and the Local Museum, Warwick, RI - November, 2008
· Unlock Your Creativity, Bedford Craftsman’s Guild - Spring 2008
· Topsfield Archives Project – Archives Training - Town of Topsfield, Topsfield Massachusetts - 2004
· Winchester Archives Project – Archives Training- Winchester Archives, Winchester Massachusetts - 2004
· Town of Lexington Archives Project – Archives and Records Management Training – Lexington, MA - 2002
· Archives on a Shoestring - Using Volunteers and Hiring a Consultant, Museum Archives Institute, Wilbraham Monson Academy, Wilbraham, MA - June 2002
· Series: Intermediate Computers, Learning Institute at New England College, Henniker, NH - April 2002
· The Essentials of Preserving and Providing Access to Public Records, NH Local Records Education Project, Nashua Historical Society, Nashua, NH - December 2001
· Series: Computers 101, Learning Institute at New England College, Henniker, NH - October 2001
· Series of four training sessions: Shirley Historic Records Project: What is a Historic Record?; Managing Archival Collections; Preserving Historical Records; Planning for Our Future - Hazen Library, Shirley, MA - 2001
Series of four
training sessions: Finding Carlisle: Managing and Processing Archival
Carlisle Town Hall, Carlisle, MA, Spring - Summer 2001
· Archives Appraisal and Acquisitions, Essex National Heritage Group, Peabody Historical Society - March, 2001
· Westminster Archives Project, Westminster Historical Society, Westminster, MA - November 2000.
· Organizing Town Records: A Consultant's Perspective, Massachusetts Town Clerks’ Association conference, Hancock, MA - October 2000.
· Organizing Local History Collections in Libraries, Reference and Adult Services section of the New Hampshire Library Association, Spring Conference Local History: From Clutter to Collections, Hopkinton, NH - June 2000
· Images of America: Waltham, Waltham Public Library, Waltham, MA - 1998
· Preservation in Libraries, Hillstown Librarians, Bedford, NH - 1998
· Genealogy and Preservation Series, National Archives and Records Administration, New England Region - 1997
· Gravestones: A Reflection on American Lifestyles - Stipend award recipient Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program; chosen to present thesis at the 5th National Conference on Undergraduate Research, California Institute of Technology - 1991.
PUBLICATIONS AND WRITING
· “How Collection Planning and Collaboration Supports the Cultural Heritage Institution and Community Memory,” History News, Winter 2010/2011.
· Cultural Heritage Collaborators: A Manual for Community Documentation. 2010.
· “Passing Family Stories through Generations,” Parenting New Hampshire. March, 2010.
· “My Stuff, My Life: Archives - What Should I Keep?” Lifetime Memories and Stories (Australian blog), guest blog post. /www.lifetimememoriesandstories.com/archiving-personal-stuff/
· “Preserving Memories,” Bedford Bulletin (monthly column)
· “Take Picture Perfect Photos in the Garden,” The New Hampshire Mirror (April, 2009)
· ArchivesInfo. Wrote and published newsletter designed to educate professionals and non-professionals about archives and information management, 2000-present
· The Gardener’s Soul : Nature’s Path Toward Inner Peace. Wrote, took photographs for and self-published book about New England gardeners. Incorporated personally conducted interviews, portraits, and self-directed research, 2008.
· Archives Forms Manual. Self-published book with personally designed materials for the management of historical records by non-professionals, 2008.
· "Simple Tips for Taking Better Photos," The New Hampshire Mirror (May 16, 2007) vol. 1 no. 15.
· Impressionism Transformed: The Paintings of Edmund C. Tarbell. Susan Strickler, Linda J. Docherty, and Erica E. Hirshler. 2001. Wrote chronology.
· "Thompson Ames Historical Society: Gilford, NH. NHLREP Grant from 2002,".Inventory. Fall/Winter, 2004. (Newsletter of the New Hampshire Archives Group)
· Images of America: Waltham. Wrote book about history of Waltham, Massachusetts, published by Arcadia Publishing Company, 1998.
· Gravestones: A Reflection on American Lifestyles. Research and writing done as a UNH stipend award recipient in the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program. Chosen to present thesis at the 5th National Conference on Undergraduate Research, California Institute of Technology, 1991.
· Garden Portraits Blogspot gardenportraits.blogspot.com
· Use Web 2.0 technologies to network with colleagues and educate the public about cultural heritage
ArchivesInfo on Twitter @archivesinfo
ArchivesInfo Blog archivesinfo.blogspot.com
ArchivesInfo on Facebook bit.ly/9QxFht
Cross Professional Collaboration in Museums, Libraries, and Archives on Facebook
· Served as judge for annual New Hampshire Young Inventors Program sponsored by The Academy of Applied Science (ongoing – 3 years running)
· Served as advisor for time capsule project of first graduating Bedford High School class
· Taught elementary school students about archives and archivists
· Taught adult seniors skills for preserving personal papers through Rivier College program
· Taught adult seniors computer skills through New England College continuing education program
· Served on board of Manchester Artists Association as newsletter editor and historian
· Garden and portrait photographer for local garden center and community events
· Chaired READS (Reference and Adult Services) Programming Committee of New Hampshire Library Association
· Memberships - Society of American Archivists, New England Archivists, New Hampshire Archives Group, American Library Association, American Association State and Local History, National Association of Professional Organizers, Manchester NH branch